Facebook Instagram - Mandy Saile Instagram - WhirlInCircles Behance Behance Pintrest www.MandySaile.com Email

Monday, June 14, 2010

Painting Restaurant Chairs

My beautiful and dear friend Becca is opening a vegan/organic health juice bar and bistro called "Veg Out", everyone in town is so excited for it and I know with Becca at the helm and as the owner, it'll be a fantastic success and a lovely place to veg out. Becca commissioned me to paint 20 of her chairs...she told me she wanted strawberries and vines and for each chair to be different from the next...

So I started with a really bright and basic colour palette...

and I free hand drew the designs on each chair...it was really weird, it was as though each chair told my hand exactly how it wanted the design because each drawing and each chair happened without any fuss and felt very organic...

It took me 40 minutes to an hour for each chair...
...several of the chairs (yet to be photographed) had the vines going down the legs and up the back spindles, those took abit longer...
I have 2 more chairs to go, 10 bar stools and possibly a pillar/wall...

I honestly don't have friends hire me for work very often so I am so pleased Becca asked me and trusted me to add my bit of whimsy to her place...I'll post again when I've completely the other stages. I was thinking of video taping myself doing some of the other painting and then asking Jonathan to make it into a cool YouTube video for me...hmmm maybe:D ha ha.

8 comments:

Jonathan said...

The design you came up with looks great. Can't wait for the store to be open...being across from the bike path tunnel is very handy...

joven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anne said...

Love the sweet strawberries and flowers on those chairs!

--Anne (a classmate from Flying Lessons)

Judit Gueth said...

They turned out really nice!

Lori said...

Seriously Mandy- on so many levels I am so in love with these chairs I am not even sure where to begin. And then that it is for a vegetarian cafe. And then that one is opening in your town (that I already LOVE) and that your friend is opening it...all so wonderful. I am thrilled to hear how the chairs were painted so effortlessly. You were tapping into the source:)

jacqueline said...

WOW you did such an amazing work on painting these chairs!! It looks lovely! I wish i stay close so i could visit your friend's lovely shop "Veg Out" and check out your wonderful painting!! I love that name lots! Have a lovely merry happy week and love to you!

Mandy Saile said...

Thanks everyone:D....I actually start painting the rest of the project this coming Friday:D

Kerri said...

people are going to be talking about the great chairs at this restaurant, regardless of the food. i love your color choices, and love her idea of making each chair unique!! how long did all that take u?