Facebook Instagram - Mandy Saile Instagram - WhirlInCircles Behance Behance Pintrest www.MandySaile.com Email

Friday, September 16, 2011

Update On Jaks

I am so so pleased to be able to write that our sweet Jaks is doing so much better.

He started eating with a voracious appetite a few days ago, yayyyy.
He's back to his usual playful and energetic self, yayyy.
and he saw the doctors again today who is very happy with his progress, yayyy.
Well, the doc says we're not out of the woods yet...that there is still risk of infection underneath all of the large scabs but so far all looks good and many areas are healing up nicely.
He'll go back in 2 weeks for another check up. 
Uunfortunately he has to be on the antibiotics for another 2-3 weeks...
but Jaks takes his medicine like a little trooper (mixing it with apple juice helps too!).

So now we have a nightly routine.  Whiles I hold him in various positions, Jonathan uses a soft paint brush to put manuka honey on all his sore parts and than I wrap him in a thick soft towel, we put a movie on and he and I have nice snuggles and snoozes together on the couch for 1.5-2 hours.
We can tell the honey feels soothing because he settles right in for a nice long snuggle...
His little body completely relaxes, he offers lots of kisses and falls asleep quite a few times, ha ha.
  Than
We put him in a nice warm shallow bath to wash the honey off...
Than we have to apply peroxide (as per docs orders) just to really make sure we're fighting any infection under all those scabs...and than he comes back on to the couch for a blow drying to make sure he's nice and dry...I think we're looking at another couple of weeks of this routine.
But it's all helping and it truly does feel like a precious honor to be able to care for him and help him heal.


 (Here's Apple Jaks last night after our nightly bath/honey/blow dry session..
he said 'Okay guys, you can take a few pictures but don't show anyone my boo boos'...)

I have to say...
I know lots of people don't get my relationship with animals and rabbits.
Most somehow just can't fully and totally understand how a precious rabbit soul can so touch my life.
But, they do...
and it struck me as funny when the last time we were at the vets office,
I was holding Jaks in a big soft blanket (he prefers that instead of the carrying cage)
and I was sitting in a quiet corner, rocking him and talking to him
and a woman with her 2 young kids came up to me and looked at me strangely and than said
"Oh sorry, we came to see your baby...we thought you had a real baby in there"
and I just smiled and said
"Well it is a real baby...it's MY baby".
And I realized that my response and smile to this stranger was genuine...
That I didn't mind her funny little glance and chuckle as she walked away with her two human children.
I realized that I am so completely over people 'not getting me'
because it just doesn't matter if people understand...
I understand it and that's all I need
because I simply can not think of my life without the magic of rabbits being in it...
and well who can explain magic...

XO Mandy and A Happy Healing Apple Jaks XO

10 comments:

Lisa said...

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! I'm so so SO relieved to hear that Jaks is doing so well. AND being SUCH a good boy for his momma and taking his medicine and what many buns would call torture treatment with such a good attitude. My rascals would never really let me hold them easily or take their medicine without a fight, but still, I not only "get" you, I'm right there with you. I don't care how many people think I'm strange, my kids are my life, and I'm happy.

Mandy Saile said...

You rock Lisa...and I know you know what I mean....we share the same magic:D Wish we didn't live quite so far apart lovely lady...and sending you a giant hug today. Snugs to your bunnies too. XO Mandy and Jaks. P.S. I promise to drop in on your blog SOON!

Snap said...

It's true .. who can explain the MAGIC?!!!!!! I feel the same way about my kitty furbabes. So happy to see the handsome Mr. Jax doing so much better! I know you are happy, too!

Natascha said...

Yeah people think I'm a nut but my animals behave and are nicer than most humans. Not surprising I love their company! so glad your little guy is doing better!

Beth Morey said...

YAY Jaks!! Bunny's systems are so delicate that often it's so hard to get them back to health. I'm glad he's so much improved!! :D

ladaisi said...

Thank goodness your beautiful bunny's doing better!

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised we were able to get such good shots of the little monster considering how much he was playing with that blanket and hopping around :-)

Misty said...

This was so very sweet... brought tears to my eyes. Jaks is lucky to have such a wonderful mama. And so very happy to hear he is doing much better!!!

Mandy Saile said...

Thanks so much for the positivity everyone....Misty sending you an extra hug:D XO.

Jenn said...

Sorry so late on commenting, and I'm happy to hear Mr. Apple Jaks is doing better. I understand your affinity with your animals. My little Miss Molly had cancer and she had big surgery last week. It was skin cancer and they were able to remove it all. She has 10 staples on her belly, but she is bouncing around like a puppy. The prognosis is good, too. The doctor said dogs with this stage can live another 4-5 years (but she's 13...I'm happy with every extra day I get). I wish she were a little more cuddly like Mr. Jaks. I'm thinking of you and your little one. (BTW - your art is spread 'round my new home... and people who visit me love the pieces!)