Facebook Instagram - Mandy Saile Instagram - WhirlInCircles Behance Behance Pintrest www.MandySaile.com Email

Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Duck & Empathy

I am pretty upset today...
One of the court ducks was killed yesterday morning.
He was sleeping under someones car and they ran over him.

Jonathan tried to spare me the truth...he knew I'd be really upset & angry,
but I have good ears, I am good at reading body language & I had noticed
the female all alone that day and I was wondering where her partner was.
It's so so sad to see the female all alone.
Whenever they were separated, you'd hear them calling and calling for the other.


They had been coming to our court for atleast 10 years.
Every spring I looked forward to seeing them.
Every year I dreaded that something happened to them whenever they were late in arriving.
Every summer they waddled around the whole court, they were part of the neighbourhood,
everyone sort of watched out for them...
I'd run out and yell at kids or people with dogs to leave them alone when I saw they were being bothered.
All of us knew to look under and around our cars before we backed up, it was just part of summer.
And he was killed by someone visiting the court, someone who didn't know better...
He will be missed.
He was part of this worlds magic and beauty.


Sometimes people think I am overly empathetic...
but I don't want to be one of the cold-hearted of this world.
I fight this world's abrasiveness by bearing my sensitive soul...
sure it's cut to the quick and hurts alot of the time...
but I feel beauty & love and all of the sweet sweet goodness
in between even more acutely because of that.
I won't brush off something like this with a snarky little 'Well he shouldn't have been under a car'...
It's true, he shouldn't have been, BUT it's still very sad what happened, I am not ashamed to admit that.
I don't want to be numb in anyway,  I want to feel it all...
that is after all part of this journey...part of being human.


To be full of empathy and sensitivity, to feel everything fully, is a gift.
It is not a weakness...it shows strength,
because those of us willing and open to this crazy worlds rollarcoaster
looks sadness, unfairness, despair and all the other negative stuff straight on,
we take it in, we feel it and than we walk away not more brittle, not sanded down...
but preciously more aware, more in tune, more appreciative...
and that too, in my humble opinion is part of a successful journey of being human.


Empathy means:
Having the capacity to recognize feelings that are being experienced by another
sentient or semi-sentient being.

Who in the world doesn't want this ability to flow freely through them...I sure do...

Because, well one needs to have a certain amount of empathy in them so that they can feel Compassion...
and I for one, want to be a fully functioning Compassionate person....it's who I am.

...to care oodles about ducks that aren't even mine...
to shed some tears...to light some candles to wish his spirit a lovely journey to the next part...
It's like I always say, "It's Simple Part Of The Magic That Makes Me...ME".


RIP little guy...may you be waddling much faster in the next part XO.

8 comments:

DeyfennSlayd said...

First our sweet Ella, and now our Duck...I was feeling angry at our loss before, and now even more-so.

I know I am one that tries to restrict empathy sometimes as a means of making things easier, and I shouldn't impose this on others. I just don't like seeing my Bijou hurt :-(

Snap said...

My feeling when something like this happens is: *they* were here first. We should always be on the lookout for our fellow travelers on this earth ... especially those who were here first. They cared for the earth before us. We inherited their beautiful world and without them it just isn't the same. I'm with you Mandy.

Mandy Saile said...

I will hurt one way or another...but I always get right back up even stronger for, don't I my love:D XXOO.

Snap, you are a kindred spirit, thank you for all of your beautiful support. XO.

Lisa said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Duck friend :( Too much all at once, but I guess that's how it happens, isn't it? You keep being strong in your own way and don't let anyone tell you the way you are is wrong.

val said...

Aw, that makes me so sad. I am so happy you are one of the people who feel like I do. I remember telling my kids to be gentle with nature when they were young. Today, my 16 year old son jumped out of the car to move a turtle going down the center line. He had taken the long way to the pond. Matt helped him on his way. Sometimes, that is all we can do, help. Your feelings are honorable and I for one, truly understand and appreciate them.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Tears...just tears....

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

So beautifully well said Mandy. That is truly what it is all about.

Jenn said...

Ah, I just read about Ella Luna and I'm so sorry. I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes because I understand how deeply you feel the loss of a precious fur-baby. Ella has been a star on your blog and I will miss her. And reading about the wild duck that visited you for 10 years! That was amazing to have had him visit for so long! I'm sad about those tragedies with you. I hope your heart heals with time. Warm hugs and thinking of you.