Facebook Instagram - Mandy Saile Instagram - WhirlInCircles Behance Behance Pintrest www.MandySaile.com Email

Friday, May 21, 2010

My New Buddy...Tilly The Squirrel

My precious buddy Chapman, the grey squirrel and her mate Puff seem to be gone:C.....BUT this new little gal has been my new outdoor buddy...her and her 3 babies. She isn't as friendly as Chapman but for a red squirrel she's pretty good and very very sweet, I kept finding her here on my bookshelf, ha ha...she would grab a peanut from outside than comes into the house to eat it on our bookshelves, I'd fine her here almost everyday soon after I open the doors for the rabbits...

And just the other day I came upstairs from my studio and found her sitting at the table eating my leftover mash potatoes! She's so entertaining. We are trying to keep them out of doors, but they seem to be very comfortable running through out our house! I guess we're used to it, they been coming into our house for over 8 years now.

I've recently had neighbours threaten to throw rocks or to let this sweety drown in their pool because she's apparently been digging up their plants to hide her peanuts! (Even nice people often have a cruel hearts). Sure it's annoying to have some plants uprooted but they are just plants after all...I just stick em back in the ground. Squirrels and chipmunks are a natural beauty, entertaining, sweet and yes mischievous, sometimes bold and sometimes very annoying BUT thats how they are, they are a lovely natural wonder with just as much right to be around than we do. Anyhow, I like my neighbours but I like Tilly too so what I did was I stopped giving her peanuts and now just give her and the babies a couple raisins and small slices of banana and apple....all of which they eats on the spot and don't take away to dig and hide into someones garden, so I think it's a win, win, win situation, the neighbours won't have plants disturbed, the critters still get their treats from the nice human lady, ha ha and I still get to enjoy some of my favourite furry company out in the yard...and okay yes, often in the house too!

Which reminds me, it's time for the rabbits yearly dose of 'revolution' flea medicine, because they spend alot of time outside and digging in sand all summer, the doctor suggested it...none of them mind it, it's just a tiny bit of liquid applied to the back of the neck but Roo-Boo, oh boy my big boy hates the stuff and I always feel horribly giving it to him, I don't know if it stings abit or if it's the really strong smell, probably the latter because he usually has a very sensitive nose...do any of you guys dose your rabbits and if so what do you use????

Well, I am organizing the food/beverage for Art On Main's big grand opening so I must hop on email and the phone to beg for some food! wish me luck, ha ha and have a great weekend.

11 comments:

Lavender Rabbit said...

Oh, Tilly is so cute! I wish I could open our doors and let the squirrels in. I love how she comes in to eat on your bookshelf. Does she nibble on the books?

We give our bunnies revolution, several hate it. They shake and run and foot flick and.. yeah, not my favorite thing to do.

Good luck with the food for the grand opening!

Dogwood said...

Love this blog post about Tilly. Darling. Nature~we need to respect their life and place in the world.

Have fun at the grand opening of the new location.

Hugs, Dogwood

Jules said...

Way to cute!
I love red squirrels so much.

The Bunns said...

Squirrels aren't as weird as cats. Cats are WEIRD.

jacqueline said...

OMG that squirrel is soo adorale! I am loving this post so much! It made me smile. :) Have fun at the grand opening of the new location! Have a lovely merry happy week and love to yoU!

Judit Gueth said...

How ADORABLE is that!!! :-)

Lori said...

That red squirrel is so cute. Your heart is so warm and generous and loving.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Oh what a darling Tilly is! Such a sweet one!
I have no idea what to use on the buns for the fleas as mine never leave Bunnyville. It is much too hot here with lots of preditors and way to many other critters like snakes that like to eat buns. Razzy would fall over and die from being so scared.

Mandy Saile said...

Oh Shell, I can imagine why you'd keep them safe inside! Sometimes I think it would definatly be easier for our group to stay indoors but ever since we've had bunnies we've let them go outside. Our very first bunny, Bean would actually walk on a lease with us, of course we were choosy and only brought him to gardens/lawns that were pesticide free. We watch our babies closely because we do get racoons and I think they would kill a rabbit if they had a chance...so the rabbits are never outside alone and they all come in around 6 of 7...except for nights like this week where we're all craving some of the cool air at dusk...at which point our eyes never leave them....we're lucky to have a fenced in yard but still, I feel better watching them like a hawk. I love knowing your sweetie pies are safe and sound:D hugs to them from me and mine pretty please:D and hugs to you too. XO M.

Mandy Saile said...

Thanks everyone:D...Tilly had 3 babies recently too...I'll post pics soon.

Jonathan said...

Ah yes, the yearly invasion of critters into the home. It's like running a halfway house at times :-)