Facebook Instagram - Mandy Saile Instagram - WhirlInCircles Behance Behance Pintrest www.MandySaile.com Email

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Update

As I sit in constant vigil over our Jaks, I take a few minutes here and there to work on this new coloured pencil...I think I must dive into something for the sake of sanity and for the sake of my forever creatively itchy fingers and soul.  Coloured pencils fit the bill at the moment since they are so mobile and easy to pick up and drop when attention is needed elsewhere.

I thought I'd hop in with an update.
He's still with us...
we THINK he's taking small steps of improvement...
This is the 6th scary & exhausting day of this ailment...
but late last night in the wee hours of a new dawning day he started to poop
and this morning he started to nibble on his own, just abit and not nearly enough but the interest in food is a good sign and brought tears to our eyes...
He doesn't look half as sick as he is (well the first couple of days he looked bad).
I don't think he knows what danger he is in...
but this is a good thing because he's very active despite the awful wounds from the awful infection.
He's playing with Jinny & being his silly self and probably we are looking more tired than he is!
Going on days 6 of him not eating or pooing like he needs to be is just not good...
but we are not giving up and we're so impressed by this little rabbits strength.


So it's been antibiotic doses ever 12 hours...
He does have an infection despite our diligent cleaning twice daily
(tonight he'll get a nice warm soothing bath)...
It's force feedings of small herbivore critical care ever 4 hours...
Motility Injections ever 8 hours (which thankfully he doesn't feel at all)...
and a veggie slurry with fresh squeezed pineapple juice of our own making every few hours as well.
The bromide in the pineapple & the enzymes in the greens are very important
to help enhance and motivate motility....
It's lots of gentle tummy massages which Jonathan learnt how to do last year...
It's exercise sessions in the wide open basement living room, since movement is very important...
We at least don't have to worry about him being dehydrated for he's taking in lots of water on his own.
It's been a very rough few days...but yes, he's still with us, our sweet little Jak-a-boo.
I just won't handle it if my boy dies because of this...a skin infection gone horribly wrong
(again I can't afford details, it's still too raw)...
I know we take really good care of the buns, I know this but it was obviously not enough.  
I am here and present with them almost 365 days a year...I can't help but blame myself.
I had him in my arms just the day before all this started...he looked & acted completely normal.
I didn't realize what was going on underneath a patch of fur.
I didn't have reason to suspect anything but still I should have checked somehow...
my intuition or whatever six sense I should have had failed me and I feel like I've failed him.
...
In between mixed moments of despair and hope
and in between moments of humbling clarity and dazed exhaustion,
I am grateful for:
Jonathan, who is so so strong and who is taking care of me whiles we take care of our babe...
For my honey's amazing boss, who is supportive of Jonathan working from home during all this...
For a pile of Artful Blogging magazines giving me some needed eye candy...
For the healing of my left hand, after skinning it pretty badly last week!...
For a threatening bladder infection staying at bay, so far!!!...
For a reprieve from a long strain of really bad migraines...
For the hot showers at the end of these recent days...
For favourite old shows like The Cosby Show and Ally MacBeal giving us a chuckle now and than...
For pot after pot of peppermint tea and honeyed green teas...
For my juicer and the healthful fresh squeezed apple, carrot, ginger drinks we get from it...
For the rainy, cold and gloomy days which seem to companionably echo our current days...
For Ella Luna and Roo's patience as we do spend almost 24 hours tending to 'the others'...
For the soothing tinkling of my fish tank which lulls me to sleep when we do manage an hour or two...
And
For the fact that even amongst all this panic and upset, I can still find oodles to be grateful for...
Keep sending us those positive well wishes and good energies,
I am passing each and every one of them along to Jaks.
XO Mandy and Jonathan and Jaks and Jinster XO

7 comments:

Lisa said...

ohhh, Mandy, 6 days of stasis, all of you such poor things! I know how hard it is to get any kind of work done (or eat, or sleep) when the ever looming nightmarish presence of stasis swoops in, but I can't imagine living that way for so long.

You CAN NOT blame yourself Mandy you do everything you can which is a whole lot more than most of us can. You and Jonathan create one of the best bunny homes imaginable. Mandy, how many bunnies are lucky enough to have both of their human parents home and taking care of them when they get sick? Not many. That plus your experience... if anyone could get Jaks through this, it's you and Jonathan. Please, don't dispair. Jacks and Jinnie need you to stay positive.

We will continue thinking of you all.

Misty said...

aw!
*hugs*
I'm sure you are tired but a very good mommy!
sending lots of good web vibes!!
and saying a little prayer for a speedier recovery for your Jaks!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Oh I'm so glad he is still with you. This is just so awful Mandy. You know you can't blame yourself for not seeing it sooner. Buns are masters of hiding their aligments. Sending you and Jonathan lots of light and love for extra strength during this time.
xx, shell

Mandy Saile said...

Misty and Shell, thanks so much lovelies, your encouragement means so much. Lisa, I am sending you a giant giant hug. XO.

Snap said...

Oh goodness. I'm so sorry all of you are going through this. Little Jaks is very lucky to have a family that loves him so much. Wishing Jaks and you well.

Lavender Rabbit said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to read about poor Jaks. Bunnies hide so well from us, there is no way you could have know. I am grateful you caught it when you did, and I know you are taking the very best care with him. Lots of healing and love from all of us in Texas. Hugs, Donna

Anonymous said...

Since I am commenting a bit late, I know how this image turns out....and I really really love it.

Lots of work helping Jaks to heal up, but it's all worth it. I think more then 2 hours of sleep a night is over rated anyways...