Facebook Instagram - Mandy Saile Instagram - WhirlInCircles Behance Behance Pintrest www.MandySaile.com Email

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

More City Shots...

Hi everyone, I really wanted to share some more shots I took when we were last in Toronto a couple months ago...these are some of my new favs and I admit right now these city shots are making me miss Toronto abit...we lived there for 5 years long ago...maybe someone we'll move back...I dream of Portland but that isn't a possibility with Jonathan's line of work and my fear of earthquakes & Portland being right on the 'ring of fire'...anyhoo...let me show you...

 I loved the mirror play on this building..there is never a boring visual moment in the heart of Toronto...


...I love this mirror play of the blue skies and clouds of that day, I walked past this building almost every week for 4 years when I attended OCAD...


Jon has to go to Toronto sometimes for his job and his meetings, etc are usually in a cluster of the city where the building generally look like this...beautiful I think...


We decided to pop into my old romping grounds called The Riverdale Zoo, it was a couple acres of really foresty land full of farm animals like goats, swans, bulls...and I'd go there often in between classes to center myself...this beautiful church is part of the area and though I'd never step foot inside, I always did and still do appreciate the beauty of the outside structure...


I so loved the warmness of this bench in the evening sun...I think I might do a coloured pencil from this shot...


and I found something so simple but lovely about this open door way and stairs...and the reflection in the side window is pretty cool...


 ...and this is a window in the side of the big barn...I am a sucker for photographing old barns!


This mural is in cabbagtown, just by the Riverdale Zoo, I thought it was pretty catchy so I hung out the truck window to get the shot as we zoomed past in haste to get to one of our favourite vegetarian restaurants...


...Kensington Market is a crazy busy part of the city and it's one of my favourite places, it's full of strange people and 'normal' people who seem to intermingle harmonously, there is a feeling that nobody gives a crap about what your doing or who you are, your able to just be there wholey and fully in your own self and I find something really relaxing about that.  There is always lots to see, hear and smell and I have fond memories of strolling around with my best friend on a hot summer day arm in arm just looking and finding and muching on a big carton of fresh strawberries...this time I found some new murals I had never noticed...check out this Mucha-inspired one...


...and I quite liked this one, something about it was very sweet...


...there was also this one...


...ah but than we hit our favourite 'King's Cafe', and down to the business of eating we had to get.  Everything in the place is vegetarian and soooo delicious.  (If you visit or are in T.O, and have not yet been to this place, we highly highly recommend it).


When we go to the city we like to revisit an old favourite restaurant and also try at least 1 new place and we came across this place, 'Herbivore' that we can't resist trying next time...check out that door 'Closed at Sunset', I've never seen that before and I just love it, ha ha...


..and what non-meat eater/animal lover can resist a place that doesn't allow people wearing fur!  SOOO awesome, I tell ya, I've not even been in yet and it's a place after my own heart, ha ha.


I really like where we are at this point in our lives, all the decisions we've made are to get us where we currently are but sometimes, just sometimes and once in a blue moon I can't help but wonder where/what we would be like now if we had chosen to stay in the big city...hmmmm....but than I realize we wouldn't have had all the bunnies who have graced our lives since we've moved back home so that right there alone is the clincher that I'd never go back in time and restart... 

The haunting possibilities of 'what if's' is something I've learnt to stay away from...living fully in my own present is key and defiantly makes for more beautiful and fulfilling days...


...I wanted to share my most favourite shot for last....a pigeon nesting on a really old building...LOVE IT....I think this might make a really night coloured pencil as well....


....well that's about all for today...thanks for stopping in and having a look...
Do tell me, which is your favourite photograph??? 
I think some of these will be in my photo shop as soon as I get all of that figured out!

I am off to help a friend hang their exhibition, I just hope my head behaves!!!...

See you Friday with a new piece of work...

7 comments:

Karen M said...

Mandy, its so hard to choose from so many terrific pictures. The final one is nice, and the bench, but I think my favorite is the one just before the bench. I love the way the tower reaches for the sky.

And thanks for the comment about living in your own present. I really needed to hear that today.

Kristin Dudish said...

Beautiful photos - I love Toronto... Thanks for the restaurant recommendations. (I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant where I had the most delicious tempeh reuben I have ever eaten.)

Thanks for sharing!

xo
Kristin

Anonymous said...

hey your blog design is very nice, clean and fresh and with updated content, make people feel peace and I always like browsing your site.

- Murk

Diane said...

Awesome photos Mandy!! I visited Toronto probably 25 years ago and I just remember that I loved it!! After seeing these, I want to go back--thank you!!

Dogwood said...

favorites~window, stairs and bench. i really loved all the photos but those three were my favorites. this was a nice blog post. interesting to learn more about you and your life.

have a nice evening. enjoy and smile.

hugs to you...Cory/Dogwood

Jonathan said...

Sometimes it is surprising the great shots you get as we whip around that busy city. My favourite one is the second last one (B&W wide angle of the downtown).

Can't wait to see the pics you get on the next trip...

Lydia said...

Hi Mandy , nice blog & good post. overall You have beautifully maintained it, you must submit your site for free in this website which really helps to increase your traffic. hope u have a wonderful day & awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!