Facebook Instagram - Mandy Saile Instagram - WhirlInCircles Behance Behance Pintrest www.MandySaile.com Email

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A New Furniture Project

I love painting old furniture...I don't do it too often because they can be time consuming projects, but when I do get to it, I really get into it and the thought always pops into my head that "Yep, I could do this for a living...this and paint carousel horses..." ha ha. It completely lets me diverge and break from my usual work but still feels very creative and therefore freeing. I saw this lovely old writing desk at a thrift shop for no more than $20. Without question my honey helped me load it up into the car and we brought it home only to sit in a corner for a few years with not real purpose and looking pretty hideous (but I bought it because I knew the shape and style was lovely).
Jonathan helped me immensely by spending 3 hours on it before it passed off into my hands. He worked off the old cracked and bubbled veneer on all sides, cut new pieces for the backing, reinforcing weak areas, completely rebuilt the legs, filled any cracks and holes and sanded it beautifully so I had a nice smooth surface to refinish. I forgot to take a shot of it before Jon worked on it unfortunately...but here it is looking much better than before...

And voila...here it is after 7 or 8 hours of my hard but fun work...

A lovely and new and unique desk for our den which is decorated with blacks, reds and golds...I am very pleased with the outcome and was happy to surprise Jonathan with the finished project when he arrived home from work. Now Jon wants to go thrift store hunting for more furniture for me to paint, ha ha...he says this every time I finish a piece.

Thanks for your help babe, it would no doubt look quite as sharp without all the fine tuning you put in. As for everyone else, I hope I've inspired you to break out the paints and varnish and perhaps tackle some ugly or tired piece of yours and have fun and breathe new life into it. Happy Creating and perhaps old furniture hunting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah...that was a fun project, and it does have an ultimate purpose...for which it will be used soon :-)

LLL

Judit Gueth said...

Wow Mandy, it looks amazing. You're so good at refinishing furniture!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.