Facebook Instagram - Mandy Saile Instagram - WhirlInCircles Behance Behance Pintrest www.MandySaile.com Email

Monday, June 15, 2009

Welcome To My Main Studio...

It has naturally changed abit since I took these shots because I am forever moving things around but I was waiting and waiting to show you my studio and finally the time has arrived...so welcome to the studio of Bijou's Whimsy...this space is in our basement (which I occupy half of)and I call it my 'main' studio because it is where I do most of my work and where I welcome people in to see my work. I am lucky to have a secondary space upstairs which is about 3 times smaller where I do most of my painting and pastel work but this space few people really see...

The desk to the left is where I do all of my coloured pencils...I love this cozy little spot. Behind me are storage shelves (which have yet to find their happy purpose!) and shelves where I display books that really inspire me...usually children's books...or my latest little paintings.

In the middle is my little garden table which is so wobbly but so loved, ha ha...I've made quite a few things at this trusty little set of mine...and to the right on the long blue table you'll glimpse my computer/business area...

...I have rabbity things ALL over my studio...like this cute guy to hold some pencils...
...I have a 'thing' for bell jars, Oh I just love em...here's some housing one of my most cherished possessions...my late grandfathers paintbrushes and some of his oil paints. Another favourite spot in my room is this wall for greeting cards...I adore cards, sending them, receiving them and sometimes just buying them for myself as sources of inspiration. I always felt bad tucking them away in boxes so my solution was to string ribbons and hang my most favourite cards from them, which I then cycle every few months... ...and if you look closely at my plants you'll see rabbity things even in them, ha ha... ...so this is my studio to the left side...
....and this is my studio to the right looking out towards the door...
My little studio couch...I've always wanted a studio with enough room for a couch and finally I have one and I feel so lucky for it...I love sitting here and relaxing when I have a headache, or with a tea or coffee whiles sketching or planning...or kicking back to watch some tv or movie on my computer...ahhh blissful. Behind the white curtain is my messy area..which will at this time remain undocumented, ha ha.
This is my big worktable which it's awesome, custom built in light-table. Underneath has tons of storage and also houses my wheelie-paper-tray which was also always a 'studio want'.
As you can see, for a basement, I am lucky that this room gets pretty good light. And when I don't find the light suitable for working, I have two tracks of delicious full spectrum lighting that I just flip on.
Image rails run the length of two walls and the images on them are always moving and changing. I find surrounding myself with my work like this pushes me to work harder and make that next picture better, etc...plus it makes for a decent display to possible clients.
By my computer desk I have these lovely paper tole's that my mom made for me...a piggie one because the movie 'Babe' is one of my all time favourite movies ever and when I look at it I think of that movie and my heart feels lighter...and a chickadee one because they are one of my favourite birds.
...yet more rabbity things...
...on both sides of the mirror of course...
My studio rocking chair...people seem to gravitate towards this chair the most it seems, I guess it has good and relaxing vibes...
People are always shocked to see that beautiful quilt in a studio, but I remind them that I am a pretty clean worker and when I do pastel and painting I do those upstairs...so no worries that lovely quilt is quite safe, ha ha.
...and swinging from my rocker are some sweet little rabbity necklaces that Jonathan surprised me with a while back...
...I have little empty frames all over the house, I just love empty frames, I don't know why...sometimes they look just as great empty as full with art...I think it's the possibilities that could fill them that makes me happy to have them hanging around empty!...
And lastly one of my favourite rabbity things...the rabbit couple cruising in their blue and pink cadillac, ha ha...
Well, that's about all for now...I could go on and on but I think this is long enough already. I will take you on a tour of my upstairs studio at some point in the next couple of months hopefully.
Hope you enjoyed seeing some of where I work and create...Be Well and Thanks for popping by.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful studio - I'm jealous! And so many lovely bunnies...Thank you for your kind comment on my blog!

Jonathan said...

Wow, nice studio!!!!! ;-)

Jo Wholohan said...

beautiful!!! xx