Facebook Instagram - Mandy Saile Instagram - WhirlInCircles Behance Behance Pintrest www.MandySaile.com Email

Monday, January 31, 2011

Art On Main Refreshed

I have been a working member & exhibiting artist at The Art On Main Gallery for 1.5 years now and once in awhile I like to show you what my display & the rest of the store/gallery looks like...

During my last shift I was able to pull everything off the walls, plaster up holes, sand, repaint, rearrange & hang new pieces...


Here are a few shots showing what the rest of the store is looking like these days...




And this was the January window display, my pal Rachael & fellow member is a whiz at decorating/designing the windows...


The window has 3 of my Wee Whispy's (which I am anxious to get back to the studio to rework abit).


My gallery shifts are sometimes interesting, sometimes extremely satisfying & lovely and sometimes annoyingly negative!  I am luckily greeting with 90% positive but there is some kind of uncanny & unexplained mojo happening around me as well where the most negative of people find their way to me.
There are strange people who first, find out I am the artist of the body of work they are looking at, than they proceed to say 'Oh I see your an animal lover" and upon my very adamant 'Oh Yes I am & I am so glad your getting that message from my work' they than feel that it's appropriate to tell me some horror story about an animal they had, make a joke about animal testing, show me pictures of  the deers they just shot or tell me that their fathers just love to hunt bears...!

Now, I am aware of the atrocities that our animal kingdom faces, I do willingly educating myself in the devastating & gruesome  knowledge of animals plight including heartbreaking knowledge of animals in slaughter houses & testing labs etc...the knowledge breaks me down, yes,  BUT it also opens my eyes & gives me ammunition to use when I hear 'there's nothing wrong with eating meat'...and it easily keeps me on the strict & narrow path of what kind of human being I want to be, which is a kind & compassionate one whose akin to our natural world, not averse to it...Why do these people think that the artist who just professed to being a great animal lover wants to hear their death & destruction stories, seriously what is wrong with people!  Jeepers! 

The last couple shifts brought brand new criticisms/negativity:  I heard from one very forward customer that my asking $100 for a little original piece was asking 'way too much' and that 'she understood what went into it because she was a hobby crafter herself but still'...Okay!!!

Another very opinionated patron felt it was her solemn duty to tell me that my work was 'much to bright and cheery', that my 'colour palette was suitable for a country such as Mexico' but that I'll 'never sell well in Canada unless I neutralize my colours and change my style to fit in abit better'...
Yeah, because I work my butt off to find my own style & voice only to abandon it to blend in with the masses, okay sure, I'll get right on that!

Anyhoo..ha ha..Every artist needs to vent out the negativity once in awhile...
...It's important for us artsy types to remember the somewhat crude but true adage
"Opinions are like assholes, every ones got one"!

Any artistic ranting/gripes to share this week?  feel free to leave a comment & vent & release your artsy stresses....& know that your certainly not alone. 

XO Mandy & Roo who is shedding like mad & who will not let his mama pluck or brush him!

8 comments:

Marianne said...

So help me if you tone down your colors or your personality I will never visit again.
I love this post. And the art is amazing.

Lavender Rabbit said...

I love your display, absolutely would make me stop in my tracks to stare. Your use of colors is why I love it, and we don't even live on the border of Mexico - haha!

Sorry about all the negativity, I get that too. I have taken to being abrupt with animal stories by saying something like 'so how did you kill your beloved pet'? Rude I know, but most will stammer through something much less gruesome. The art critism, well, I think your quote is perfect and very true!

Hugs from Texas :)

Marianne said...

I think maybe you should sell that Owl to me since it is way too colorful for your area !
hahahahahaha
I love this post and I love the artist who you are and the person you wish to be

Stephanie Amos said...

my dear friend,
i can only imagine the gut wrenching feeling you had when you encountered these people! it is from those opinions and comments that make us rise above words of criticism and become the successful artists we are today.
just wanted to let you know that so many LOVE your style, your color and what you bring to the table as an accomplished artist and loving human being. =)

much love
xxoo
samos

Karen M said...

Yikes! People are amazing, aren't they? When my kids were very young, my Mom taught them to say "Idiots! The world is full of them!" Then they can laugh and move on. It's like a secret code for them, maybe because the love and support of their family is behind it. So Mandy, consider yourself supported, and please, don't ever change your style. Your heart shows in your work.

Mandy Saile said...

Ah shucks you guys....your comments and support are giving my tender heart some lovely friendship squeezes right now & making my eyes just a tad teary, wow:D...Thank you. Sending each and everyone of you huge hugs right now. XXOO M.

Annette Tait said...

goodness me! what a barrage of opinionated people (on the negative side!) though I love old adage alot!
(one reason why I never sit in on my exhibitions)

Deyfenn Slayd said...

Your display looks great..and your work in the window is sure to bring in some eyes to the store.