Facebook Instagram - Mandy Saile Instagram - WhirlInCircles Behance Behance Pintrest www.MandySaile.com Email

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Lemony Lentil Soup

I mentioned making 'a big pot of lentil soup' in my last post.
It's one of our favourite soups EVER...
I've perfected the recipe over the years and will share it will you all here today.
It's super easy and super yummy.


Here's what you do:

First chop a large onion & 4 or 5 medium sized garlic cloves and put that into a big pot with oil,
cook over medium heat until softened (make sure not to burn them).
Then add a dash of hot pepper spice or red pepper flakes, just abit, you don't want it too hot.
Next stir in 1.5 tsp of cumin.
Next you'll want to add and stir in finely chopped parsley (I use a pretty large handful).
Add in a healthy splash of lemon juice (fresh is preferred but bottled will work fine).
Then stir in 1.5 cups of dried red lentils, stir for about 30 seconds.
Now add in 6 cups of vegetable soup stock and stir.
Now you'll want to add 2 finely chopped large sized potatoes.
3-5 peeled and chopped carrots.
If you have it, a nice big handful of chopped Kale is very nice.
Add a dash of sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
Stir it all up.
Now you'll want to the pot to boil...leave it boiling for 5-10 minutes,
than reduce the heat to a simmer and let the soup cook for atleast 1 hour.
Add abit of extra lemon juice to taste when your ready to serve.

There you have it.
My secret recipe that we're bonkers for, my best friend is bonkers for, my mom & dad...
pretty much anyone I've made this soup for LOVES it.
It's healthy and satisfying and feels nourishing...
ENJOY.

XO A Vegetarian Mandy

8 comments:

Christina said...

Thank you very much for stopping by and wishing Dudley well. I currently have a disabled bunny and have shared my life with another bun that couldnt walk. If you need to vent or want to talk just drop us an email.

Mandy Saile said...

Oh thanks so much Christina, I will indeed email you very soon for a chat because I've been finding it really difficult to adjust to Ella Luna's new situation and I wouldn't mind some advice:D I'll be in touch soon. XO Mandy.

Lisa said...

This is my absolute favorite soup!!! Jon and I look forward to it on a chilly day :)
I think of you every time I make it!
Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

I love that soup. The huge pieces of carrot are definatetly a must. The more, the better. Also, I think the last batch was smimmered for over an hour, and the red lentils got nice and soft......so good!

Lisa said...

This looks very, very yummy!

ladaisi said...

Oh this looks amazing! I love lentils.

Mandy Saile said...

Lauren, Lisa in New York and Lisa in Ottawa thanks for hopping in:D

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Yum for sure!