Facebook Instagram - Mandy Saile Instagram - WhirlInCircles Behance Behance Pintrest www.MandySaile.com Email

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Graeme Base...an inspiration

I've been thinking about early on inspirations.
Trying to remember my earliest memories of who and what inspired me to want to be an artist.
 
The art and incredible fantastical world of artist Graeme Base comes to mind right away.
(I am reading this book on him, his process and his artwork right now and it's great)
Though memory fails me and I can't remember the age I was when I discovered him...
I know it was one of the many many times my mom would bring me to the public library....
She took me there ALOT thankfully, ha ha, partly because she knew I was wild about books
and also because she taught herself English by reading English books.
Graeme's books used to be displayed behind the counter...you had to ask for them...and I always did.
 He brought animals to life in his stories...
He gave them larger than life personalities in wild and crazy scenerios
and I remember feeling a kinship...here was someone with a wild imagination for animals, like me.
Here was someone who must understand also that animals are more than just what meets the eye.

 
I would feel envious of the ladies who worked there in the library,
it had to be one of the best jobs ever! to get to spend their days surrounded by
amazing pictures and books and transporting stories, even if a tad on the quiet side!
Even when I was probably too old to be visiting the kids department I would still wander in.
I could not stay away from the books...and truthfully I still can't!
I have a rather large collection of kids books that slowly grows bigger each year.
(I did end up working in two bookstores for some time later in life and I was right!
whiles the paychecks sucked, it was indeed awesome to be near all the books, ha ha!)
 
I remember from first glance I was completely smitten with Base's work.
And I love that still to this day, his work pushes me on to be better, to do better...
His work also reminds me that there is magic in the detailing...and you know me, I love my detail!
 And whiles we are in completely different spheres...I can only dream of being as good as he is...
His work still somehow indirectly reminds me to keep making pictures no matter what...
That it doesn't matter if anyone cares about what your doing because at the end of the day...
there is some kind of magic in being able to make pictures.
Don't ya think?

No comments: